This is the first in a series of posts called Keeping Your Small Business Alive & Kicking. Being a small business owner and having had quite a few as clients, I have developed some perspective that I am happy to share.
Somebody once told me that running a small business isn’t so much about doing one thing really well, but getting a whole lot of little things right every day.
Let’s face it, there really is no shortage of things to do each day. The only things that we know for sure are that every new day will bring new challenges and that the only constant in all of this is change.
Lately, I have found myself going to a lot networking events, talking, and especially listening, to a lot of people discussing their businesses.
After a while you start to hear certain things over and over again. Mostly in the form of what people are not doing that they should be. This is some of the advice that people are passing around to each other. And they really are things that can hurt your business over the long haul.
- Not responding promptly to calls and emails, be they inquiries or clients, (India based SEO companies are the exception).
- Not answering your phone if you are capable of answering.
- Answering your phone when you are already on the phone…this pisses off two people at the same time.
- Not following up promptly on referrals.
- Not keeping the referrer in the loop.
- Sending a quote and not following up immediately to discuss it.
- Taking on more work than you can handle at any one time.
- Charging your client for something that takes only 5 minutes to do, when you could earn real loyalty by not charging for it.
- Not following up on projects to see how things worked out.
- Not asking for a reference, referral or testimonial from a client you’ve had success with.
Obviously there are a lot more, but these struck me as the ones you could correct with just a change of mindset. Have a great day and feel free to forward this blog to anyone you think would find it useful.
I am a professional communicator and active observer of the human condition. I’m pretty sure I was a Viking in an earlier life. I work with primarily B to B clients, large and small to create hard working communications in whatever sector of the marketing universe their strategy dictates the need to travel through. I am also a mentor, blog post editor and a pretty decent photographer.
If you have a marketing or communication challenge you would
like to discuss, (no obligation), there are three ways you can contact me:
Direct Line: 416 463-3475
If you want to check out some of my work…
CV, Portfolio & Services: http://tinyurl.com/p6vqxe
Finally, you can download my free ebook,
Small Business Communications For The Real World:
(If you have trouble getting this link to open
just email me and I will send you a PDF)